The Panama Canal expansion project doubled the capacity of the Panama Canal, and opened to ships on June 26, 2016. As a national leader in port and waterways economics, EDR Group's port experts were interviewed and quoted by a large number of national media outlets regarding the implications of the expansion on the global trade economy.
Selected media includes:
- Global Trade and the New Panama Canal - Radio Interview of Paul Bingham on NPR's "On Point with Tom Ashbrook." 6/27/16
- Panama Canal Unveils Decade-Long, $5B Expansion - Philadelphia Tribune. 6/27/2016
- Panama Debuts Expanded Canal - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. 6/27/2016
- How the Improved Panama Canal Could Change World Trade - The Christian Science Monitor. 6/25/2016
- $5.4-Billion Expansion of Panama Canal Could Reshape World Trade Routes - Los Angeles Times. 6/24/2016
- As Expanded Panama Canal Prepares to Open, New York Isn't Ready - Wall Street Journal. 6/22/2016
- New Challenges for Boat Captains with Expanded Panama Canal - The News Journal. 6/11/2016
- A Wider, Deeper Panama Canal Prepares to Open its Locks- Radio Interview of Steve Fitzroy on NPR's "Morning Edition." 5/11/2016
- Panama Canal Threatens West Coast Ports' Regained Market Share - Journal of Commerce. 4/19/2016
EDR Group was commissioned by The U.S. Department of Transportation's Maritime Administration (MARAD) to complete the Panama Canal Expansion Study. The Phase 1 Report was published in November, 2013.