This posting is open for entry-level candidates who would like to grow with EBP. This includes students and candidates interested in part-time work.
Consultant 1 – Transportation Planning & Policy Analysis
The person in this position can expect to work on strategic planning, policy research, and economic analysis for a broad range of clients, including research programs, the federal government, NGOs, state DOTs, MPOs, economic development organizations, transit agencies, ports, and airport authorities. We are seeking support related to topics such as:
- Interactions among infrastructure, technology, land use, and economic development
- Scenario planning, especially for long-range multimodal, freight, rail, and resiliency plans
- Research on equity and differences in needs and impacts across subpopulations/communities
- Performance management, metrics, and reporting, including accessibility measures
- Household behavior and choice simulation, including applications for policy analysis and forecasting
We seek people with the following qualifications (Demonstrated experience in at least four of the following areas is required):
- Applications of travel demand forecasting, modeling, and traffic simulation tools for various modes and study types, especially system-level analyses
- Work with asset management tools for project prioritization and scenario analysis
- National transportation performance datasets and practices
- Analyzing survey datasets with accurate weights and linkages to supporting data
- Programming/scripting, ideally in R Tidyverse or Python Pandas
- Statistical analysis, econometric modelling (especially discrete choice models), and forecasting
- Data visualization, including R Shiny or other interactive web platforms
- Benefit-cost analysis
- Spatial analysis using ArcGIS or QGIS
Candidates should also have:
- A degree related to transportation, urban/regional planning, geography, data science, economics, or public policy
- Excellent English-language written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate concisely and effectively
We are looking for candidates who exhibit:
- An ability to stay organized while simultaneously balancing multiple projects and priorities
- Interest in planning and policy research, and the ability to blend qualitative analyses
- Curiosity and willingness to delve into unfamiliar topics and to learn new skills
For more than two decades, EBP has been at the forefront of assessing the impact of transportation on people and businesses – thinking beyond traditional measures like roadway performance to capture the human element of how transportation systems provide access to jobs, commerce, and daily activities.
Committed to applying principles of equity, sustainability, resiliency, and state-of-the-art economic analysis, we seek to be the employer of choice for like-minded professionals. Our team is expanding in the United States to support strong growth as we serve our clients on these exciting topics. This position will also be part of our global network, with staff sharing best practices and expertise across EBP’s offices in Brazil, Chile, China, Germany, India, and Switzerland. We are committed to building a diverse and welcoming team where we come together to share ideas and develop methods and products of the highest possible quality.
Work Culture and Location
Our team is headquartered in Boston, just a few minutes’ walk from three T subway lines, Boston’s South Station (commuter rail and Amtrak), as well as the vibrant downtown, Chinatown, Seaport, and Public Garden areas. Our building includes bike parking and health club facilities. Our office is a creative space filled with talented people. We also have remote staff located across the county who stay connected through regular visits to our headquarters and our use of Microsoft Teams. We operate in a hybrid environment of both in-office and remote collaboration. EBP’s Boston-area staff generally work at least two days per week in the office.
The person filling this position will be invited to join our staff in our downtown Boston headquarters, but we are also open to remote work arrangements for those who reside outside of the Boston metropolitan region, especially Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and Nashville. Any new hire will be expected to travel to Boston at the start of the position for a week of on-boarding and, if not based in Boston, to visit our headquarters 3-4 times per year.
The annual salary range for this position based on full-time employment is as follows:
- Consultant 1 (entry-level): $60-80,000
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and two work examples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter, please describe: (1) your professional goals and interests, (2) your technical skills and qualifications, (3) notable examples of your research or client-oriented project experience, and (4) confirmation of U.S. citizenship or work authorization type and validity period.
Your work examples should include (1) a writing sample showing narrative presentation of analysis and (2) a code sample (preferably in R) with any supporting documentation.
EBP is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBTQ+ employer. For more information, email email@example.com.